Monday, August 3, 2009

Psapp - Tiger, My Friend


For day number three, I will share one of the favorite selections of cats from all over the world: Psapp's Tiger, My Friend. Like cats, there is a precious charm to the album that screams polka dots, playgrounds, and song birds. It also has the atmospheric vibe of Barns and Noble. "Rear Moth" is an anthem for coffee houses, and the occasional rubber duck squeak is all part of what Psapp is. "Velvet Pony" is sort of the epitome to what Psapp is, though: chromatic melodies and subtle beats made of samples of things like tinking glasses, vinyl, and what sounds like a noisy elevator with a bell. I say that Psapp is cat music because of "About Fun," which has cat sounds and lyrics about being a cat--at least part of it might be about being a cat (I never pay much attention to lyrics). It's my favorite song on the album. "The Counter" takes on a more serious tone than the squeaks, mews, and tinkering. It's a sad song. "Chapter" is another highlight on the album, because it has this really cool soft lead and a melodica--I think. I posted this album because it's the first one to get, but I think The Only Thing I Ever Wanted is just as great, if not greater. The Camel's Back is also great. They always sound, more-or-less, the same. A similar band to Psapp would be the Bird and the Bee.

No comments:

Post a Comment